Sunday, June 7, 2009

Five Ways to Climb the Ladder of Success

I am often asked by aspiring leaders how to ascend the ladder of success. I'm not sure that I have all the answers when it comes to this topic, but I can tell you some things I have done, and observed others doing, that helps.

1. Formal education: Oftentimes education is not a requirement for advancement, but it sure helps open doors of opportunity.

2. Life-long learning: Once you take your basic training or get a degree, don't stop there. Learning should be something you do for life.

3. Help others achieve their goals: One of the quickest and surest ways to achieve success is to help others succeed. You learn in the process and helping others feels good.

4. Networking: There's no doubt about it... success is partially based on what you know, and partially based on who you know. You never know how someone you meet today may help you achieve success years down the line. Don't discount building and maintaining relationship.

5. Share your expertise: Become a teacher and mentor to others. As you teach, you learn. As you mentor, you learn. As you learn, you have more success. It's synergistic.

Best of success in your climb up the ladder. Let me know how I can help you.

Richard B. Gasaway, PhD, EFO, CFO
www.RichGasway.com

No comments: