Sunday, November 9, 2008

Election Results

The election is over and the voters have spoken. Regardless of whether you are republican, democrat, independent or another party, you are first, and foremost, and American. We have an obligation to support our elected leaders. If there was one thing that bothered me most about this election season, it was how negative the politics were and how easy it was for some politicians to throw our President under the bus. I don't agree with all the policies of our present Administration as I am confident I will not agree with all the policies of our new President and his Administration. But that does not mean I have to be mean spirited and attack the man because I think (from the comfort of my living room) that I could do a better job. It's not fair.

If you think you can do a better job than someone who holds and elected office, then run for that office. And if you do run for office, for God's sake, please tell me about the things you can do to make my life better (and less complicated). I don't want to hear you bash your opponent. Even if every bad thing you say about your opponent is true, it does not make me want to vote for you. I judge your behavior on the campaign trail as the behavior I can expect from you when you are in office. Don't tell me how you are a team player, a great communicator and a great problem solver, and then behave in ways that are not consistent with those qualities when dealing with your opponent. It makes you look like a hypocrite.

We are going through some tough times. Tough times do not build character, it exposes it. As a leader, people are watching you to and they take their cues from you about how to behave. Show yourself as a calm and predictable leader, worthy of the trust and confidence that your followers so desperately want to have in you.

Best wishes to our outgoing President George Bush and the members of his Administration. Thank you to Senator John McCain and Governor Sarah Palin for their desire to lead our great country. Congratulations to President-elect Barack Obama and Vice President-elect Joe Biden on a well-run campaign. I wish you much success with the challenges you will face when you take office. Your success will mean our success.

Richard B. Gasaway, PhD, EFO, CFO
www.RichGasaway.com

No comments: